[Wine] Re: Help installing Win on MacBook Pro

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Sep 10 11:05:59 CDT 2011

o1sowise wrote:
> My son is taking some programming courses in school and it would be very helpful if he could run Visual Studio on his Mac.  I own older VB5 and Visual Studio 6 (from my old PC days).
>
> [Embarassed] I cannot figure out how to install Wine on his Mac.
>
> Can someone please guide me (e.g. show me all the steps I need to follow to install Wine) so that I can then install VB5 and VS6?
>
> He's not going to do intense programming, just syntax check his code and run simple stuff.

I've tried running some MS IDE (like those you want to install), and they just do not run well or at all under Wine.  You are much better off getting something like VirtualBox (which is free) and installing a real copy of Windows inside it... then he can run Windows as a program on top of Mac OS X, and MSes Visual Studio apps run ok that way... but it does take a legal copy of Windows, so its not 100% free.