[Wine] wine path error?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Sep 10 13:47:54 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-09-10 at 11:24 -0500, rufus wrote:
> Hello Martin
>

> You are right! But why doesnt gta start by using this usage:
>
> wine "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas/gta_sa.exe"

Because you're not running it from its install directory like it
expects. The message that you should have got from my reply was to do
this:

cd "/root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas"
gta_sa.exe

*HOWEVER* I see you've installed the game in root! NEVER DO THAT. Root
is strictly for carrying out administrative tasks on Linux and not for
running games, so get rid of the wine data you've installed in root:

	su -
	rm -rf .wine/*
	exit

and reinstall GTA under a normal user. Then run the game by doing this:

cd "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas"
gta_sa.exe

Doing it this way gets you used to using the WINEPREFIX shell variable
which you'll need if/when you install more Windows apps: the recommended
approach is to put each app in a separate wine prefix because this stops
Wine settings and winetricks needed for one app from interfering with
another app.

Martin