[Wine] Turbo Basic

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 18:26:01 CDT 2011

On 9/11/11 3:26 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 17:15 -0500, djtmc wrote:
>> Yes, I know it's an ancient program.  Problem is, I've bought an ancient textbook that has all its code in TB.
>>
>> Anyway, I can't get this to run.  Tried DOSBox first, only to be told
>> that the program requires win32.  So I tried to run it in Wine, but
>> got the infamous '...encountered a serious error...' dialog.
>>
> What did you set the Windows version to with winecfg?

This was a Windows95 or Windows98 program.  Don't know if it will work
with Wine, but the OP should try this:

winecfg

Click on the Add Applications button and navigate to the TurboBasic
executable.  Click on the Open button.  The program should now appear in
the Applications listing.

Click drop down button next to Windows Version and select Windows98.

Click on the OK button.

Navigate to the TurboBasic directory and run the program.  It should now
be running in Windows98 mode and may run better.  If not, capture a
logging file
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
and post it to a site like pastebin.com (Ubuntu has a pastie site.)
Post only the URL here so those interested can go and look at it.

James