[Wine] Re: Help,installed diablo 2 can't get it to work

DaVince wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 14 12:49:57 CDT 2011

Enderguy wrote:
> Im starting to think that its my direct x not being compatible seeing as though my wine screen remains blank and when i tried to launch a baldur's gate cintematic it didn't work how can i get direct x to work?But no i don't have compiz running.

First things first. DirectX on Linux won't be a problem because there is no Microsoft DirectX. Wine has its own implementation of DirectX, which is the same version every other Wine user will use. Thus, if a game doesn't work for you and it works for someone else, it is much more likely you don't have proper 3D-supporting graphics drivers for your video card, rather than it being a DirectX problem.

(It can still be that, because Wine DirectX is so vastly different and here and there not as complete, but it's much less likely than being a graphics driver problem.)

You can test if you have proper 3D graphics driver by running any native Linux 3D game. I find Armagetron and Sauerbraten are pretty good test cases. If they launch, you know that you have 3D hardware acceleration on your video driver. If they don't, you don't.

Now, if you use Ubuntu, there is actually a proprietary driver manager that will probably indicate if you have sufficiently working graphics drivers installed (I forget where it is, haven't used Ubuntu in a while). You can also choose to install it from there.

Finally, the reason you were asked for details on the graphics drivers is because a Wine dev can usually fairly quickly tell you if it's going to work or not. For example, most of the ATI Radeon 4xxx series cards seem rather safe (in my personal experience), in that they have actual worrking graphics drivers.