[Wine] Can't install program to another drive

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 09:20:37 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 7:13 AM, FX2011 <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I'm planning to remove Windows completely, but before I exercise this option, I want to be sure that I can install/run my
> needed programs under Linux using Wine. Granted I've been with Windows since the beginning, but after my experience with
> Vista, I have had enough. So, currently I have a dual boot setup for the moment, using Ubuntu 11.x/ Vista Ultimate (64bit). I
> have three hard disks, a dvd Lightscribe and a 3.5 floppy. Drives c, d and e are NFTS format for Windows utilization. In the
> Wine configuration, I've attempted using the Auto Detect feature and it will see drive C and A, but it can't find D or E, even
> though they are mounted. After searching through the forum, I'm getting the impression that Wine won't see the drives unless
> they are formatted in Linux format? I ask this because I attempted to install a Windows program and the installer couldn't
> find D or E. Would my assumption be correct in that all the hard disks must be Linux prepared?

First, the disks have to be available to Linux.
Second, we do not recommend installing nor using programs on NTFS due
to several issues related to permissions.
Third, this is really the most important part, Wine does not and
cannot use a Windows registry hive.  Do NOT attempt to use any part of
your current Windows installation with Wine, excepting specfic Windows
DLL files on a case-by-case basis.

The way around this is to install programs under Wine in a Linux
formatted partition.  This does not preclude 'sharing' data by using a
FAT32 formatted partition between Windows and Linux and is the method
I have used for years to do so with other programs.

James