[Wine] Bash Script Shorcuts for Steam Games

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Sep 27 04:50:37 CDT 2011

> hl2Pid=`pgrep hl2.exe`
> gdb --pid $hl2Pid [insert other stuff here. Hehe. "here"]

Because you have to know that it exists? "apropos pid" doesn't find it
on my system. "apropos grep" does, but this somewhat begs the question,
since to find it this way you need to know that a grep clone is
involved. In any case, ps, grep and gawk are standard utilities on
almost any Linux or BSD system: can you say the same for pgrep, zgrep or
mboxgrep?

> Also, I thought that the point of attaching a process to a debugger is
> to get a constant spewing of debuggery as the process runs, especially
> during extended user interaction.

Thats news to me. Every debugger I've used has been interactive: you can
ask for stack dumps or to see or set variable values, step the program,
set break or watch points etc.

Generally speaking, using a debugger is a very slow way and often
frustrating way to find out what a program is doing and tell it it
mustn't. This is why a well-written program contains both assert
statements and tracing statements that are controlled by command line
debugging arguments.

> Please tell me that there is a way to have such a live feed. Append
> "-c" with the other parameters?

gdb is a pretty good debugger if you need one, so try "man gdb" and be
prepared fro quite a long read.

> Also, how do you stop the debugger in terminal,

Usually by detaching it when it reaches a breakpoint and stops.

Martin