[Wine] Re: Wine on non-Unix platforms

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 28 10:15:50 CDT 2011

Thanks for the good news. I'll have to try Win95 in DOSBox. I guess Win98 and DOSBox just don't mix. Also, one bummer is that DOSBox does not emulate MMX. I think QEMU and Bochs do. I haven't used Bocks, but I have used QEMU. And I had that terrible spell with Ykwhong's and Win98. Also, I had issues with DOS and FreeDos in DOSBox. I'll save those stories for later. Basically, fat16, no fat32. And that fixes things. But FreeDOS still couldn't run setup.exe. MSDOS could do things FreeDOS couldn't, and vise versa.

As far as QEMU not being user friendly... yeah. Yeah. Agreed. However, a bash script or batch file that runs a VM in QEMU for the user would be quite easy. And Windows has a pretty good GUI for it. At least it looked good online. Haven't used it myself.

Cheers,
Jake