[Wine] Re: Wine and WoW Cataclysm Patch 4.0 troubleshooting thread

BlackNoxis wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 28 10:19:25 CDT 2011

JontomXire wrote:
> About a year ago, before Cataclysm, on Kubuntu 10.10 with a 2.1Ghz single or dual core (can't remember) processor with 2Gb, and dual SLI enabled nVidia graphics cards, I managed to get WoW to run "almost" all right (in terms of FPS). It was fine except when things got a bit busy, such as in a 10 man raid boss fight :(
>
> That machine recently died and I replace the motherboard, the CPU with a quad core 3.3Ghz AMD 64 bit chip, and now have 8Gb of RAM. I have installed Kubuntu 10.04 LTS (the stable release) and finally got OpenGL to work with the nVidia graphics drivers, and WoW now runs like a tortoise. My wife did some dailies and other house-keeping stuff last night, and she said it made her feel sick, especially when flying.
>
> I've checked that glxinfo reports direct rendering as on, I've done the registry hack (it made no difference). I still have to check that I'm not doing software rendering as per http://celettu.wordpress.com/2009/03/25/wine-opengl-direct-rendering-and-compositing/. I still have to tweak my SLI setting (currently set to "on" which apparently isn't a valid value) and may try experimenting with some of the other nvidia-xconfig settings.
>
> The thing is that when I ran it previously, I didn't need to do any of these hacks or things.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas of what the problem might be and what I can try?
>

> ---
>
> FYI, the graphics options in the game are mostly grayed out and have messages in red saying things like that there are hardware problems with that option so it's been turned off. It sounds like what a previous poster was talking about. Damn Blizzard!
>
> In other news, I saw a YouTube post with a video where the poster claimed to be able to get 100 FPS on a sandbox server with Cataclysm. His machine spec was nowhere near as good as mine.

Can you tell me on which server do you play ? I want to test it myself with wine 3.29 if it's really working. I think my server's launcher.exe is not letting me connect to the server. When I'm running Wow.exe ori launcher.exe, I'm getting all the start things working, and when I put my pass and user and push the login button, bang! crash.