[Wine] Re: Wine on non-Unix platforms

DOSGuy wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Sep 28 13:18:34 CDT 2011

SpawnHappyJake wrote:
> Thanks for the good news. I'll have to try Win95 in DOSBox.

I tried for years to get my old copies of Windows 95 (B and C) to run in DOSBox, despite people posting videos of Win95 running happily in DOSBox. I finally got it working this year when I acquired a copy of the original release of Windows 95. Supposedly 95A also works, but I haven't tried it.

Even with the original release, I couldn't get through the installation process in DOSBox. I installed Windows 95 to a disk image in Bochs, then booted the disk image in DOSBox. I had to find a driver to get better than 640x480x16c graphics, and I had to tell Windows that it had a Sound Blaster 16, but once it was done, it was totally worth the effort. I keep a backup copy of a clean Windows 95 installation so that I never have to go through the installation process again.

I'm told that Windows 98 also runs in DOSBox, but my attempts to run a disk image with 98 SE on it goes nowhere. Again, I might need the original version. Warcraft III is the only game that has outright refused to run in Windows 95 (it pops up a notice saying you need Win98) so far, so it's probably not worth the effort of trying to get Win98 running in DOSBox if you can get Win95 running.

As for MMX, I'm not sure if any DOS game ever used MMX instructions, but if even one commercial DOS game did, that would probably justify adding MMX to DOSBox. They won't add stuff that's only for other OSes, but if you legitimately need a feature to run a DOS game, it should get a green light.