[Wine] Re: Wine and WoW Cataclysm Patch 4.0 troubleshooting thread

JontomXire wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Sep 29 08:21:42 CDT 2011

That's what I'm going to do, after purging all the current nvidia stuff frommy system.

The second thing I'm going to do is download, build and install the latest decent version of Wine.

Thanks for all your advice. It's been really helpful.

---------

One more question. What with OpenGL support getting dropped from WoW, I was wondering if it was worth trying to use DirectX under Wine. I found a post where this guy actually installed the real thing under Wine and said his game ran fine.

My understanding is that on Windows DirectX is better than OpenGL because it talks more directly to the drivers than OpenGL. So if I install the real deal, will I still get that directness and speed? Or is it still going to translate to OpenGL?

I'm wondering what the effect on the graphics of having everything set to minimum is going to be. I read here that some WoW spell effects won't show up - if they are important ones like Boss AoE in a raid then that could wipe a raid if they aren't visible and I or my wife die as a result. I'm MT for my guild, but my wife mostly plays on that PC and she's mostly OT healer, although sometimes she heals me.

It'll also be a bit poor if the graphics are really shoddy. My PC is brand new self built, same motherboard, CPU, and RAM, but two much newer SLI enabled graphics cards and I have all the graphics set to max and it is so much cooler than I used to get on my old laptop before it died. I don't want to subject my wife to terrible graphics.

Lastly I'm worried that in a few months, Blizz will drop OpenGL support altogether and we'll no longer be able to play like that.

So maybe it's worth trying to get DirectX support working reliably now?

What do you all think?