[Wine] Adodc5 - Provider cannot be found.

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Apr 1 12:28:02 CDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 11:25 -0500, spavvn wrote:
> I was checking out forums and found post with similar problem to mine. And he solved his problem by executing this code:
>
> cd ~
> wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
> sh ./winetricks mdac28
>
> I did same, and it did solve that problem, but application still wont run. It gives me this error report:
>
> Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000008 in 32-bit code (0x24e7f734).

I have a Windows app that runs in DOS emulation mode and shows the same
problem, which I fixed by adding these two lines to /etc/sysctl.conf

# Sets a value required by WINE in DOS emulation mode.
vm.mmap_min_addr = 0

This is currently running OK in RedHat Fedora 16 using kernel
3.3.0-4.fc16.i686.PAE but, of course, it will only help if your program
normally uses such low addresses. As I've been using it since kernel 2.6
it doesn't seems to have any bad effects on Linux in general.

Martin