[Wine] link Explorer Shell extensions to Gnome thumbnailer

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sun Apr 1 17:50:55 CDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-01 at 17:16 -0500, vitamin wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > This is nothing to do with Gnome

I was reading the OP's request as being for icons in lists of files in a
directory, which has everything to do with Nautilus and, because
Nautilus is separate from desktops (Gnome, KDE, XFCE,...) has nothing to
do with either the desktop or Wine.

> It has everything to do with Gnome that's the problem.

See above. Its a Nautilus problem unless the OP wants to drag the file
onto the desktop, when it becomes a desktop manager problem.

>  If you search mailing list history you will see people attempting to
> add one thing or the other so Wine can directly talk to desktop
> environment. All of those attempts were shut down.

I haven't looked, but that's exactly what I'd expect. It is simply not a
Wine problem.

> If you want something like this - you'll have to create your own
> project and convince your distro to include it as a "mod" for Wine.
> Wine does not include any desktop environment specific "features". It
> have to be standard and work across most/all desktop environments.

Agreed, and already stated, except I think its a Nautilus and/or desktop
manager but certainly not a Wine problem.

> Optionally you can get Free desktop to cook up a standard for such a
> things. Then you have a chance for it to be considered for Wine
> inclusion.

Agreed, *except* that Nautilus seems to have a fixed list of file types
that can generate thumbnails. I'm a little surprised: a more general,
extensible way to say "show an thumbnail image generated from the file
alongside this file and this is what you call to generate the thumbnail"
would be a reasonable thing to find in Nautilus.

> And as far as implementing this, I'm sure distros will be highly
> against it. You talking about having a running copy of Wine every time
> use wants to browse something. This will dramatically increase start
> times and memory usage.

Total agreement, as I've already said to fred2. Doing this, or calling
something else that's written as a special wrapper for Windows
thumbnail generation plugins is unlikely ever to be written (unless he's
volunteering!) I can see such a wrapper being called by the extensible
Nautilus rule I mentioned earlier but if it was slow there'd be nobody
to blame except the person who used the extensible rule to call it
instead of a fast native thumbnail generator.

Martin