[Wine] Re: Can't install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

lml99 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Apr 6 16:36:19 CDT 2012

I've had problems installing visual c++ runtime 2005 as well. Just so you know, I'm a complete noob. This is the first time I've ever had to use wine, and I don't know the inner workings of the Linux OS at all. Any commands I've used have been written by someone else and saved on my computer to copy and paste, or I've found online and just copy and pasted. I've tried uninstalling all my wine stuff in synaptic and reinstalling all of it. I've redownloaded runtime several times off of Microsoft's website, and I had the same issues as this user. However, even after I uninstalled/reinstalled wine, It still didn't install properly. I tried using winetricks as well, before and after reinstalling wine. At first it gave me an error, but now there seems to be an issue with winetricks. Whenever you try to install an app, it will start the installation process. I'm not sure what goes on exactly since I don't keep my eye on it, but afterwards, an option appears on your initial "choose a wineprefix" screen with the name of the app. If you select apps and choose ok, you'll see all of the apps lined up like they're supposed to be. However, the app that you tried to install before is marked as cached. If you select that app and click ok, you are brought back to the initial choose a wineprefix window, and nothing happens. I've chosen the app's option on the initial choose a wineprefix page and cleared out the data in that particular wineprefix, but it is still marked as cached under the download apps page. I tried reinstalling the application after that, and the task was completed, although this error message: "Note: command '7z x /home/louis/.cache/winetricks/vc2005express/VC.iso' returned status 127. Aborting." appeared. I tried a game that required visual c++ runtime 2005, and it didn't work, so I suspect it still hasn't properly installed yet. What does this error message mean? What should I do? Thanks for any help you can give.