[Wine] Building Wine with multiple jobs

Vinska wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Apr 9 02:35:51 CDT 2012

Hello!

As far as I know, the correct procedure to build Wine goes:

Code:
./configure [options]
make depend
make

When using a multicore CPU, to speed up the build, one can tell make to run more jobs, thus use all the cores. Now, the thing is: I have read [don't remember where exactly, it was quite long ago], that it is only OK to use it with the last step (make), but is an inherently bad idea to use with "make dep".
Out of curiosity, I did try to run "make -j9 depend" (I am using an 8-core CPU). It did not complain at all, built without any problems, and Wine itself ran as well as always.
I am wondering: was what I read before false, I got lucky this one time, or it just looks like it built and runs well while there is some problem "hiding in the shadows"?
In short: is it OK to run "make depend" with multiple jobs (i.e. "make -j[some_number] depend")?