[Wine] Red Alert 2: Odd problem

Bnyan wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Apr 9 22:24:59 CDT 2012

Hi all,
I am currently attempting to play Red Alert 2 on my Ubuntu 11.10 installation under Wine. Now, Red Alert 2 will launch fine, as expected on a Windows machine. The most minor error is the campaign selection screen where it takes an "alt-tab" to respond. I'm not so worried about this error.
However, when I enter a single player game (Skirmish or Campaign), whenever the game allows me to control my units, the game will freeze, and become entirely unresponsive, which means I have to hard reset my computer. This does not apply until I actually have control over my units. (For example, little in game cutscenes do not freeze up.)
Has anyone had this problem/know how to fix it?
Thanks,
Bnyan