[Wine] [Ubuntu 11.10] Unable to run (java?) games

Drowz0r wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 12 11:37:41 CDT 2012

Hello everyone

Wine is great. I've managed to (through PlayOnLinux) get Steam installed and I'm able to play a load of my games in the comfort of Ubuntu.

Currently I have all my Half Life and Half Life 2 mods working for the most part.

My issue is:

Some games come with a browser or launcher that checks if the game is up to date. All of these launchers tend to contain some Java, Flash and other things.

I was able to install Flash fine and now I can watch the preview videos and things from steam so I know that's installed fine.

I find I am unable to install Java though.

I attempted to install Java in the same way I did flash. First I tried the online file which gave this error:

Code:
Download failed:
from=http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/GetFile/1.6.0_31-b79/windows-i586/jre1.6.0_31-c-l.msi,to=Sun/Java/fre1.6.0_31/jre1.6.0_31-c-l.msi

So I tried the offline installer, all contained inside an .exe but that gave this error:

Code:
Installer : Wrapper.CreateFile failed with error 3: Path not found.

Essentially it seems I am unable to launch anything Java-esque from inside wine. I need them to run inside wine because they are a launcher for the video games, which obviously won't work in Ubuntu.

I've tried using different wine versions, 1.3~ 1.4~ 1.5~ and I've tried running it in Windows XP and Windows 7 mode.

Does anyone know how to install Java in my PlayOnLinux/Wine Virtual Drive?

Thanks in advance