[Wine] Very Strange and Probably Obscure Problem

eliwap wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 17 03:54:04 CDT 2012

Hi...

I really hope that somebody can help me to brainstorm this problem. Please let me describe my enviornment.

Environment
---------------
Fedora 16 x86_64(fully up-to-date)
Wine 1.5.1 32bit and noarch binaries only
Nvidia GPU - GTS 450
Nvidia Driver - 295.40 (including 32bit libraries)

I've installed Perfectworld International under wine. Everything was running fine until the most recent major update called (descent). It took awhile to figure out the requirments and once done. I made a clean install of the game including a fresh wine prefix. I configured the registry as required.

Now for the longest time I was unable to run the game at all. When I tried to do it manually, I constantly got the following error message:

  winehq err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr

I stumbled onto a workaround with an uninstall and reinstall of xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686. The game then works for a while without a problem. But after awhile the game ceases to work. Until I do reinstall of the library again.

Two things that are very funny about this. First thing is that recently I placed the hardware into a computer with much more capable hardware. This problem began in the older hardware and persisted in the newer hardware.

The second thing that's funny about this is that I can run the game without a problem on a different machine with the exact same OS and software configuration (see above).

I really do hope that somebody out there can help me to try to figure out what's going on. Is it a wine problem, glibc problem, kernel problem, hardware problem........

Please help.

Thanks

Eli Wapniarski