[Wine] Re: Very Strange and Probably Obscure Problem

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Apr 17 12:33:27 CDT 2012

eliwap wrote:

> The only hardware that moved were my hard drives and my video card.  As I said, the problem occurred in both machines.
>
> And I have a hard time believing that its a hardware problem, because everything else seems to work just fine. The computer doesn't crash. This wine issue seems to be the only trouble that I'm having.
>
> Is there a way to check the physical health of the nvidia card?

I'm more inclined to suspect the hard drive based on your description of the problem. The fact that reinstalling a file temporarily fixes the problem would be consistent with a hard drive that is developing more and more bad sectors over time. Both Western Digital and Seagate have downloadable utilities that can be burned to a bootable cd to check the health of their hard drives. I don't know of any utilities to check the health of a graphics card; can you swap the card with your other machine? If you do that and the problem follows the card, then you'll know it's the card.