[Wine] Very Strange and Probably Obscure Problem

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Apr 20 12:45:11 CDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-20 at 11:59 -0500, lmn40227 wrote:
> If I am making a mistake, or there is a better way to do this, then I
> would greatly appreciate any advise.

Depends which filing system you're using. ext3 probably is adversely
affected by bad blocks in the journal but ext4, which checksums journal
blocks, should detect them. Personally, I wouldn't try disabling
journalling. In any case, its only makes a difference if there were
files open and being written to at the time of the crash. If you've
successfully booted since then, the journal will have been used during
start-up so disabling it becomes somewhat moot. That said, the easiest
way of disabling it is to change the partition entries in /etc/fstab to
ext2.

At present its a case of 'you pays your money and takes your choice'
between the two because each has minor gotchas not shared by the other.
My boxes currently use ext2 for /boot and a mix of ext3 and ext4 for the
other partitions (I keep /home in a separate partition for faster
upgrades and also have an encrypted partition). I'm not planning to
change this until Fedora 18, when I'll think about moving to btrs.

Martin