[Wine] Problem installing Stata - "no windows program configured"

PoliEcon wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Apr 25 11:23:14 CDT 2012

Hello all,

I need to use Stata to collaborate with some colleagues on a project. I use Linux Mint exclusively on my computers. Though Stata licenses are OS-independent, the university I'm at only supports Mac and Windows. Stata is available through a university-wide license for those operating systems. Unfortunately, they refuse to offer a download for Linux users. Since I don't want to dual-boot and don't want to buy a separate Stata license, I'm trying to install Stata in Wine. However, when I try to install, I receive the following error message.

> There is no windows program configured to open this file type

I'm using Linux Mint 12 and wine-1.3.28.

Any idea as to the source of the problem? I've never used Wine before.