[Wine] PSpice has stopped working in newer versions of wine

trion wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Apr 26 11:52:41 CDT 2012

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to make PSpice (http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/schematic/013/) work under Wine.

It installs and starts the Schematics editor flawlessly, I'm able to create circuits, save and modify them.
But simulation doesn't seem to work, after about 10 seconds waiting, it aborts with the message "Unable to start application 'pspicead.exe'"
(There is indeed no pspicead.exe anywhere in the installation, neither in Wine nor in a working Windows installation).
When I try to launch the simulation manually (Starting PSpice, load the circuit), it fails as well: "Exeception calling SimServer loadProfile".

Steps to reproduce:
- Create a new Wine bottle
- Install (http://www.electronics-lab.com/downloads/cnt/fclick.php?fid=513) PSpice 9.1
- Start Schematics, create a simple circuit and click "Simulate"

What I tried so far
This error has been reported in the AppDB (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=1026&iTestingId=16003) for a very old version of Wine, but seems to have gone in 1.0 and 1.1.
All I can say is that it's somewhat COM-related; but un-registering and re-registering the DLLs (as described here (http://www.cadence.com/Community/forums/p/13142/21800.aspx#21800)) does not help.

AFAIK, the requirement to install DCOM98 is obsolete for newer versions of wine.
Downgrading to Wine 1.2 or modifying the Windows version in winecfg has no effect.

What do?

Thanks
trion