[Wine] Problem with old, old MS program

Jeffrey Needle jeff.needle at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 15:31:08 CDT 2012

On 08/25/2012 01:04 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-08-25 at 12:18 -0700, Jeffrey Needle wrote:
>> Hello all.  I have an old box running Ubuntu 10.04, with Wine 1.2.2.
>> Yeah, I know it's old, and I have to get around to updating it soon, but
>> things seem to be going so well....
>>
>> I'm running a copy of Microsoft Works 4.5 in Wine.  It installs
>> perfectly and works very nicely, except for printing.  Works tells me I
>> need to install a printer through Windows Control Panel.  For the life
>> of me, I can't figure out how to do that.
>>
>> I have a default printer set in Linux, but Wine isn't picking up that
>> setting, or at least Works isn't picking up that setting.
>>
> Its a CUPS configuration thing: Wine prints by using IPP to talk to the
> CUPS print server but IPP printing is disabled in most distros. In
> Fedora you change the CUPS server settings to accept IPP by enabling
> "Publish shared printers connected to this system" and "Allow printing
> from the internet" via the printer administration applet. Doubtless
> Ubuntu has a similar way for doing this.

Worked like a charm -- thanks so much!!!!Have you looked at Glom? It
generates Access-like front-end apps for PostgreSQL. IME PostgreSQL is
at least as good as anything M$ can supply for private/SME use as well
as needing next to no maintenance: it just sits in a corner and looks
after itself without any fuss. I haven't used Glom myself, but its on my
list of things to try next time I need a simple DB application of the
type that Works can handle. Glom can generate both the application and
the database schema. Martin
As to glom, I've looked at it, and it doesn't give me the power I need.
Works gives lots of good options for report generation and ease of
calculation within the database itself.

It's always been frustrating to me that enormous apps like OpenOffice
have a database module but you can't do simple calculations within the
app!  Even old DOS programs worked just fine in this regard.  Some day
they'll figure it out and live up to my expectations...<big grin>

Thanks again for the lead.  I'm now fully functional!