[Wine] Re: Wine Executes Locally, But Not With Absolute Path

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Feb 1 11:11:58 CST 2012

winepunk wrote:
> I have an uninstalled portable Windows .exe.
>
> When I type the absolute path, it doesn't work:
>

> > wine /home/ubuntu/appDir/myApp.exe
>

> but, if I cd to the application directory and execute it locally, it works:
>

> Code:
> cd /home/ubuntu/appDir/
>
> wine myApp.exe
>

>  I'm trying to include it in my Docky dock via a .desktop shortcut I've made in /usr/share/applications/. I don't mind the command line for under the hood stuff, but not for launching typical user apps.

KDE allows you to set the working directory for launchers, but I don't think Gnome does and I have no idea about Unity. You could try using

Code:
wine start /Unix /path/to/myApp.exe

and if that doesn't work, just write a shell script that changes the directory and launches the app and use the launcher for that.