[Wine] Re: How Functional is Wine's IE supposed to be?

SpawnHappyJake wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 4 01:32:00 CST 2012

I wasn't expecting all this feedback. Sorry if I caused any controversy.

As far as the whole "thinking Wine IE isn't primarily intended as a web browser," I don't think I explicitly read that anywhere, though maybe I did. But after looking around some in the wiki, a great place to look around for such Winish things, I did find this: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-ef0f22c66a018860d10339c13270c458d29f4980 (FAQ 10.7), which seems to hint that Wine IE's primary purpose is to make Windows programs ran in Wine think that IE is present. I just kind of gathered that from being on the forums/ using Wine. How else do you explain that Wine IE is so undeveloped that it can't even be used as a web browser, but Wine runs certain games absolutely fantastically? Wine IE obviously isn't a priority. At least it seems that way. Given that your host OS has a web browser, running Wine IE as a web browser shouldn't be a need, especially given that you can run MS IE in Wine. That said, it's still a noble effort of the Wine dev team to make their own implemention of IE (if that's even what they're doing).

 Ok, now I know that "release feature" doesn't necessarily mean "a feature of the release". Kind of like how 1.3, the unstable version, is the vast majority of the time more stable than 1.2, the stable version.

You just have to learn the Wineizms.

Don't know if this helps any, but there is an add-on for FireFox called User Agent Switcher that can be used to make FireFox report that it is Internet Explorer running on a Windows machine.

If a website refused to load simply because it sees that you aren't using IE, User Agent Switcher will probably fix that. But if you actually need ActiveX, that's not going to help.

Cheers,
Jake