[Wine] Warcraft 3 'Please Insert CD' fixed in 1 Distro, not Another

Entanglement wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Feb 4 17:49:58 CST 2012

Hello Wine community. I have received lots of help in the past on this website and I'm hoping to get some more from you guys on this problem as well.

Anyways, onto the situation:

Currently I am distro hopping to see what fits me best, and I am currently typing this from Gentoo Linux. Using Portage (Gentoo's package manager) I installed nVidia's proprietary drivers and Warcraft 3's "Please Insert CD" message was fixed and worked properly.

The problem though, is that Slackware does not have nVidia's proprietary drivers, so I installed them directly from nVidia's website. I downloaded the *.run file from:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/290.10/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run

Then I used:

Code:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run

Everything worked and installed perfectly. However, this time when I try to install Warcraft 3 in Slackware, it fails to start as I get the "Please Insert CD" prompt. Seeing this, my first reaction is to go to the Wine AppDB for Warcraft 3 and I read this:

> If you get this problem after having this version installed, you are likely suffering from a buggy video driver as this is the only known (and proven possible) cause at this point.

I don't believe the video driver is buggy as Gentoo installs the same packages, and installs them from source as well. However, I do believe that I am missing something when I installed the nVidia drivers, or perhaps the Gentoo developers added something with the nVidia drivers.

I also believe this is important, but I might be wrong: On Slackware's nVidia drivers, when I click (on the left tab) "OpenGL/GLX Information" the nvidia-settings program crashes/closes itself. It is restartable but the error constantly happens.

Thank you in advance for your help.