[Wine] Unreal Tournament 2003 help - one last bug to overcome!

nismology wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Feb 9 11:16:10 CST 2012

Hi all, this is my first post here!  :)

I've managed to get the PC version of Unreal Tournament 2003 working in wine on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. It took about 4 hours of fiddling to eventually get it installed properly from the discs, patched, and running at the correct resolution in widescreen. (1280 x 800)

The game runs beautifully and looks really nice on my Macbook pro, however, I have one problem:

During gameplay, when I move the mouse around to look in different directions, the game only gives me about 540 degrees field of view. Normally in first person shooters, you can look round and round in circles infinitely just by moving your mouse continuously to the left or right, but when I'm playing UT2003, it stops after about 540 degrees of rotation, as if the cursor has reached the border of the screen and stopped. This problem occurs in both full screen and windowed mode, regardless of whether or not I'm emulating a virtual desktop. The game doesn't freeze or anything, and I can look back in the other direction until I reach the 540 degree limit in the other direction, and if I waggle the mouse around furiously, I can continue looking around! As you can imagine, this is only a slight annoyance, but it makes the game a bit frustrating in moments of havoc!

In contrast, the Unreal Tournament 99 demo rund absolutely flawlessly and does not exhibit this problem.

I'm using Wine 1.2.2 on OS X Snow Leopard.

Any help greatly appreciated, and sorry for the lengthy post! :P