[Wine] RFT: Use Greek semicolons for comdlg32's printer status enumeration?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Sat Feb 25 09:20:30 CST 2012

Request For Translators<g>

So what I've gathered from Wikipedia is that the Greek language does not
use semicolons as a separator for enumerations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon#Greek_and_Church_Slavonic

| In Greek and Church Slavonic, a semicolon indicates a question,
| similar to a Latin question mark.[2] To indicate a long pause or
| separate sections, each with commas (the semicolon's purpose in
| English), Greek uses an ano teleia ( · ).

Wine uses semicolons as a separator in one place, for comdlg32's printer
status enumeration. It's a list of status indicators separated by
semicolons and looks like this:

    Error; Paper jam;
or
    Initialising; Default Printer; I/O Active;

So I would expect the Greek translation to use ano teleia characters as
the separator but instead it uses plain semicolons:

    msgid "Paused; "
    msgstr "Σταματημένος; "

    msgid "Error; "
    msgstr "Σφάλμα; "

    msgid "Busy; "
    msgstr "Απασχολημένος; "

So I'm hoping some Greek-speaking Wine hacker or user can enlighten me
on the following points:
 * Did I understand Wikipedia wrong? Do both English semicolons and
   question marks translate to a semicolon in Greek?

 * Is this a special case that justifies not following the standard
   rule? If so why?

 * Does the attached patch replacing semicolons with ano teleia
   characters make sense?

     You can have my guns when you pry them from my kids cold, dead hands.