[Wine] Software Profili2 on Ubuntu by Wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Wed Feb 29 05:18:34 CST 2012

On Tue, 2012-02-28 at 15:02 -0600, akrobaticone wrote:
> Have you some news for me?

I suppose you do know that the airfoil design parts of Profili were
originally just a graphic wrapper round XFOIL. If you look in the
installation directory and find XFOIL.EXE you'll know its still true. If
airfoil designs is all you need Profili for, you can download XFOIL from
here: http://web.mit.edu/drela/Public/web/xfoil/
and compile it as a native Linux application. Its open source, released
under the GPL and compiles with the GNU f77 FORTRAN compiler - this is
just a preprocessor and set of extra libraries for the GNU C compiler
and will be a separate package for most distros.

There is a binary OS X version of XFOIL linked from the same page.

For drawing up plans there are a number of CAD packages available for
Linux. I'm still using TrueCAD on an ancient W95 box, so can't talk
about them except to add that any self-respecting CAD package should
export and import DXF format drawing exchange files and, failing that,
most can also handle HPGL files. DXF transfers preserve layering and
scale. HPGL doesn't, but with some work you can put that back.

Martin