[Wine] Alternative to windows media player?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jan 24 20:03:08 CST 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 19:27 -0600, dimesio wrote:
> omro wrote:
> >
> > I was given some training materials, all windows based. The training
> application makes use of embedded video clips. When I first attempted
> to install it, it failed because I needed WMP. So I installed that.
> Now, when it opens the video clips, they open as a thumbnail size and
> when I right click the videos it says windows media player.
>
> If the app itself is relying on WMP, you can't substitute another
> media player.

If nobody can suggest a way to enlarge the video clips to viewable size
(is this a job for the virtual screen?) its probably worth a look
through the registry in the wine prefix and/or any configuration files
created by the installer to see if the choice of WMV player is
configurable.

If it is, it might work with a native player. That's certainly worth a
try before going to the trouble of installing a Windows video player.
If that doesn't work, try installing the Windows version of VLC in the
same Wine prefix as the training app and configuring that as the app's
video player.

Martin