[Wine] getaddrinfo confusion (wine 1.5.5)

Emanuel Rietveld codehotter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:21:08 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Emanuel Rietveld <codehotter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 03:14 PM, lahmbi5678 wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> still I'm just guessing, but what does your hosts file look like, how
>> would your hostname be resolved, if you tried to ping it? Maybe wine expects
>> some domain name in hosts, so that "seo" would become e.g.
>> "seo.yourdomain.com".

My sincerest apologies. I wrote my previous reply from work in the
fullest confidence that "seo" was in my hosts file, but it was not.
After adding it to my hosts file the game no longer gives a failed
assertion. It does not matter if I let it resolve to 127.0.0.1 or my
local external ip address - both work. Thank you!

Obviously my configuration was incorrect. Is there anything wine could
do, to help a user with such incorrect configuration? Why exactly does
it fail if my hostname is not in /etc/hosts ?