[Wine] Problem with Windows Java/Mathemaica under wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jun 18 10:23:00 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-18 at 08:08 -0500, David Bailey wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > Only do that if you are absolutely certain that Mathematica is
> > distributed with a standard, if old, JVM.
> > Martin
>

> My thought would be to take a standard Windows 64-bit Java, and try to
> run it under wine.

That would certainly be worth trying - for that matter, running it under
any standard JRE, i.e. either Oracle 6,7 or OpenJava, since the current
series of SE JRE and JDK are scheduled to be replaced by OpenJava fairly
soon. would be a worthwhile think to do. I'm far from certain that it
matters to a compiled bytecode object whether the JVM its running on is
32 or 64 bit. It shouldn't matter, since that would drive a coach &
horses through the WORA concept.

>  I would imagine this is something that has rarely if ever been tried
> because normally it would make sense to use the Linux Java.

Bytecode shouldn't care about either OS or the address size the JVM is
implemented in. See above.

>  In my case, however, Mathematica adds some native methods, so
> obviously, since these are WIN32, the whole Java must be too.

Yes, agreed. Since this is normal compiled binary code, the OS and
address size of the hardware it was compiled for matter a lot.

> Clearly wine should run Windows Java, even if it is not normally very
> useful to do so.

Agreed, though as you say, there are entanglements, such as native code
or nasties like applications that hide the existence of Java by
insisting on launching the JVM from within a Windows binary.

Martin