[Wine] What about performance in 3D games?

Alex_G wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 4 02:42:11 CST 2012

Just have a special question, coz still cannot find the answer nowhere.

/ For now seems only the games that using D3D8 and OpenGL runs in Wine with almost full-speed (as they shows on Windows). /

So... why Wine need to use Direct3D > OpenGL calls translations? Is it from video-driver restrictions or other things? Are those conversions using CPU for processing? I'm Interesting of the scheme of all chains, for example, how the application interacts with Wine comparing to native system :)

Generally, what may affect on performance? Is it because of some D3D functions cannot find OpenGL analogs and then emulates them with software?
Can I find somewhere a popular explanation of how it works? Any links.

Want understand where the bottlenecks are )

(Btw. Does anyone heard about Longene kernel?)