[Wine] Compiling & running 1.4 on 64bit

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Mar 10 13:27:04 CST 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 09:49 -0600, layr wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
> > Useful to know: "which wine" or "which wine64" shows if its in $PATH
> Thanks for the tip.
> Code:
> laur at debian:~$ which wine64
> /usr/local/bin/wine64
> So I guess the problem is in the fact wine installed into /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/bin/.
> Is there any way to change that?
Why would you want to? The fact that 'which' can find the 'wine64'
command tells you that it is in your search path, so simply using
'wine64 as a command in any directory under your login will work.

The compilation put Wine in the correct place. The convention is:

- Programs needed during system boot, i.e. those that, if absent, leave
  you with a crippled system go in /bin and those intended for root (the
  superuser) use go in /sbin

- Programs that are part of your distro go in /usr/bin (and those for
  root) go in /usr/sbin

- Programs compiled and installed locally for use by all users should
  be in /usr/local/bin and (for root use only) in /usr/local/sbin

- Programs that are for use only by a single user or that are under
  development should be in $HOME/bin

As a result $PATH for normal users should include
"/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$HOME/bin". This is the best way to do
things because this arrangement means that you can't screw up /bin
or /usr/bin by compiling and installing programs and scripts. It also
means that bugs in stuff you've created for your own use can't mess up
anybody else.

User-specific changes to $PATH depend on the shell being used, but for
bash you'd edit ~/.bash_profile to include a line like this if you want
to put your own scripts and programs in your own directory:

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin