[Wine] Compiling & running 1.4 on 64bit

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Mar 10 17:24:57 CST 2012

On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 16:48 -0600, layr wrote:
> Martin Gregorie, appreciate your input, but I'm afraid I'm not quite
> following you. etc/profile already contains /usr/local/bin as a PATH
> variable, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Good. I'm uncertain whether that is the case out of the box for all
distros. In any case, other people will be reading this thread so I
thought it was worthwhile to set out the program placement conventions
and the reasons for deciding where to put a program.

> Just tried with the modified .deb - it installed wine into usr/bin,
> but nothing changed for that matter.

That's ended up where I'd expect packaged programs to be put.

> Code:
> laur at debian:/$ type wine64
> wine64 is hashed (/usr/local/bin/wine64)
>
> What would this mean?

Not a clue. The version of type in my distro (Fedora 16) is a builtin
part of bash 4.2.20 and it does this:

$ type wine
wine is /usr/bin/wine

and its manpage doesn't say anything about an 'is hashed' output, though
it might be describing the organisation of either $PATH (unlikely) or
the directory containing it (which is a filing system specific thing.
What does "man type" tell you about it?

I'm running 32bit versions of Linux and wine: since I've got just 4GB of
RAM installed I see no reason to run 64bit versions of anything.

Martin