[Wine] Trace for DLLs needed for applications

Alex_G wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 11 08:41:57 CDT 2012

For those, who have dual boot system (Win/Lin):

Found one interesting program (for Windows) called xptruss (http://dev.depeuter.org/xptruss.php)
Checked for viruses and malware: Here is the report (http://r.virscan.org/report/27a526b97f0109ca8103f83cbc78b3a2.html)

The program could trace Win API calls and save debugging info into (large) text file. For me I found one useful thing that utility can: determine which dynamic libraries your Windows application uses.

You can place those files from arhive to the folder, where app is and run from command shell: xptruss appname
After program closing you'll find few of text files with the names of all DLLs, used by app.

Useful if you want to know, which of them else you may need in Wine for the app to work.

Unfortunalely I don't know how to turn off debugging function yet )), cause it consuming much of disk space with out.txt -file (main debugging file).
Except if to start app for only short time.

Sure, you must not to replace Wine libs with their native libraries such as: kernel32.dll, user32.dll, gdi32.dll and ntdll.dll

Or better if you place all needed dlls in app folder first, and not in Wine prefix (system32), for testing.

I dunno, maybe there is another simple way to trace DLLs. Need your advice then.  :)