[Wine] User Interface for Wine?`

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Mar 23 22:58:15 CDT 2012

On 03/23/2012 11:30 PM, Lynn wrote:
> Thursday, March 22, 2012, 11:38:17 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Okay I will admit that I am a Noob at using wine. I
>> have used it once for uTorrent via creating a launcher
>> and creating a file path for wine to follow and it
>> worked...but I would like to know if I could just open
>> up wine and then drop in an .exe file to run? I need help....seriously!
>
> I,  too,  am very new to this, but I have a Win file which
> has no installer- Just an executable in a folder.
>
> I  copied  the  folder  to  the wine directory, and double
> clicked  on the .exe. It didn't run, but QT offered me the
> opportunity to run it with a debugger, so I tried that. It
> ran  fine  then, with no error messages in the console. So
> I'd  try  copying  the  file/folder  to Wine, and see what
> happens.
>
> Now  all  I have to figure out is how to get my file to run
> without running the debgger.
>
> And if anyone can help, I'd be thrilled. It's convert.exe,
> if anyone is familiar with it.
>
> Best.

I think you said, or somebody did, that the file is convert.exe. I just
installed it.
Find the file in your directory, with Dolphin or whatever your file
manager is.
(I assume you have unzipped it.  If not, then, in a console, cd to the
directory where
the .zip file is, and type unzip convert.zip and it will create the
convert.exe file.)  You can
leave it where it is, or move it where you'd like.  I found the file in
Dolphin--it IS a Windows
program--and I right clicked on it and said copy.  then I pasted it on
my desktop.  Snap on
the icon on your desktop and it should open. Mine does.

--doug