[Wine] WINE Version in Profile Preferences

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Mar 30 18:48:34 CDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-30 at 10:57 -0500, dimesio wrote:
> rhoover84 wrote:
> > I'm currently using Fedora 14, and the version of wine in the
> repositories is 1.3.24 - however, in the "Profile" section of the
> AppDB, the versions available in the drop down go from 1.2 to 1.4.  Am
> I missing something here?
>
> The current stable release is 1.4 and the current development release
> is 1.5.0 (soon to be 1.5.1). Version selections in the AppDB include
> all stable releases but only the last 6 development releases, as test
> reports for older development releases are not considered useful.
>
> If your distro doesn't provide updated Wine packages, you can build
> Wine yourself.
> http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages
> http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

Fedora 14 is either unsupported or just about to be because RedHat
generally only support the latest two versions of Fedora [*]. Package
version cutoffs also tend to follow distro support but are generally a
release or two behind Wine HQ: F15 and F16 currently install Wine 1.4.

IOW, as a Fedora user you will always be a bit behind the Wine bleeding
edge BUT, because Fedora is equivalent to Debian Unstable for support,
if you use Fedora, you should upgrade the stay in the leading pair of
releases. IOW if your distro is a year or more old you're in unsupported
territory. What this means is that, if you don't want to upgrade to the
latest release of your distro every 6-12 months, consider moving to
another distro which offers longer term support for each release.

[*] F14 may be a special case because F15 switched from Sys V init
service management to systemd service management and F16 moved from
kernel 2.x to 3.x

Martin