[Wine] Wine only sees OSS, not ALSA

haines wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Mar 31 07:10:27 CDT 2012

I have two machines, both of which run Debian squeeze and on which I compiled Wine 1.2.3. On the older installation of Debian, which uses an Audigy 2 card, when I do $ winecfg, Audio tab, the OSS, ALSA, NAS and EsoundD drivers are seen, with the ALSA driver automatically checked. The sound test works.

On the new installation of Deban, with an Audigy 1 card $ winefcg only shows OSS, and so naturally the test fails, although the sound system (mike, sound card, alsamixer)  otherwise works.

The return of lsmod and lspci for the two machines is similar. It seems that Wine is just not seeing the alsa module.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 using wine 1.2.3 can not find the multimedia device. When I first attempted this (but not subsequently), I got the message: "fixme: mountmgr: harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 560000".

Make or make install at one point said "error: rundll32.exe encountered a serious problem and closed". When I googled this rundll32.exe on line, it seems to be some kind of virus.

I do not have alsa-oss package installed on either machine. There are references to a winealsa and an alsa-driver, but either these packages are obsolete or are not for Debian squeeze. I often encounter the suggestion to install vcrun6 or vcrun8 dll, but this seems related to Visual C++ and in any case they do not seem any longer available.

I would have to install alsa-oss packages if wine were designed for OSS, which it is not. The libwine-alsa package offers a windows API implementation of ALSA, but I assume I'll just cause more problems by installing it.

Haines Brown

.