[Wine] Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, Wine 1.5.3, OpenGL issue

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon May 7 12:48:00 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 11:08 -0500, nepenthes wrote:

> My answer was in fact motivated by Martin's posts, I don't need a 32
> vs 64 bit troll, I usually know what I'm doing on my computer, and I
> don't need someone to tell me which OS architecture I am supposed to
> run (since I have already gone through the benchmarks, optimization
> talks, compatibility issues solving, and I knew what I was doing when
> I chose to use a 64 bit OS , and after all this is not even an
> architecture related bug.

If you'd read my post a little more carefully, you'd have seen that I
wasn't trying to give YOU advice. What I was trying to say is that,
there are many newbies on here who want to use Wine but have little or
no experience of Linux and who very regularly trip up when their shiny
new 64 bit installation's video drivers start demanding 32 bit libraries
which they either didn't install or have vanished during an upgrade.
Switching to a 32 bit PAE kernel based Linux will make their problem
vanish.

This single issue forms a noticeable segment of the traffic on the Wine
Users list. If these people have 4GB or so of RAM and have installed 64
bit Linux because that sounds more shiny than 32 bit rather than for a
definite technical reason, they'd find life somewhat easier if they ran
a 32-bit Linux. If their main interest is playing games, then any
performance difference between 32 and 64 bit software on their machine
will most likely be invisible compared with the hit they're taking from
their video drivers and DX9->Open GL translation layers.

Martin