[Wine] Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, Wine 1.5.3, OpenGL issue

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue May 8 06:36:38 CDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-05-07 at 14:36 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Mateusz Stachowski
> <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> > Until the Precise I was using only 32bit Ubuntu. With these release I've decided to try 64bit and made a clean install (besides the Home
> > folder which is the same for 3+ years).
> >
> > Aside from not been able to build the 32bit version of Wine without chroot environment I've found the 64bit flavor of Ubuntu to be much
> > slower. I don't know what's causing it but it's really much slower than the 11.10 32bit that I was using before.
> >
> > There are also problems with programs nuvolaplayer is even more crashy and very slugish (that didn't exist on 32bit). Flash Player is just
> > unusable but I could use it on 32bit with much less crashes.
> >

> > That's my hardware configuration:
> >
> > Kernel:  Linux 3.2.0-24-generic x86_64
> >
> > Distro:   Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
> >
> > CPU:     AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
> >            2 cores/threads
> >            2300.00 MHz
> >
> > RAM:    GeIL 2 GB DDR II 800 Dual Ultra CL4
>
> Why would you want to install a 64 bit OS on this system?  You might
> not gain anything, and (based on your experience) actually have a
> slower system.
>
> I would install a 32 bit version of 12.04 on this system until you can
> put 4 GB or more of RAM.

The OP may find it useful to know that a 32 bit PAE kernel can address
up to 64 GB of RAM. This is something I only found out in the last day
or two. IOW if he's running a 32 bit PAE kernel and wants to add another
4GB of RAM, then he can just drop the extra RAM into its slots and
reboot. Any decision to move to a 64 bit system can then wait until a
natural upgrade point such as the release of the the next version of his
distro. I'm not grinding and 32 vs 64 bit axes, just passing on some
useful infomation.

I should add that I don't know if Ubuntu has a 32 bit PAE kernel. I use
Fedora, which provides a choice of two kernels: the 32-bit PAE and the
64 bit one.

Martin