[Wine] Visual basic scripting under wine?

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri May 11 03:51:58 CDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 17:36 -0500, doh123 wrote:
> reads text files, modifies content, then writes them back out... thats
> all?  why would you want to run that in Wine... you could write a bash
> script in 30 minutes to do it probably...

Agreed, but use awk or its GNU version gawk. Its my first choice for
anything like that. It runs fast and awk scripts are small and fast to
write. I can't think of anything I've needed to do to a text file that
gawk wouldn't do.

You can pick it up from its manpage but that's pretty terse, so look for
an online tutorial or get hold of a copy of "sed & awk", an O'Reilly
book. Time spent getting to grips with awk is never wasted.

Martin