[Wine] Audio & Video sometimes speed up dramatically

HolyMythos wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon May 21 20:01:13 CDT 2012

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit
Radeon HD 6410D graphics

I apologize if this has been answered before but I'm new to Linux, Wine, and the site. That also means I have little to no knowledge on how to fix things on Linux/Wine other than running what people tell me to in console. If you need any more information on computer specs or whatever just ask :)

I'm having an odd problem with some games with Wine. The audio and video will sometimes (or all of the time) run at insane speeds, sometimes it seems 5x or 6x the normal speed. For example, the opening video to The Sims 3 always runs at 5x the speed it should along with the audio. On the main loading screen the video plays normally while the audio still runs at a fast speed. The actual gameplay aspects of the game, from what I can tell, are running at normal speeds. Time runs how it should in the game. But the audio still runs at an insane speed throughout the entire gameplay. One time out of the dozen or so times I've tried the opening video played fine but the audio started speeding up once I got to the loading screen.

Terraria also has audio problems but it's more intermittent. Sometimes when the game is started the audio will run fast and sometimes it'll run normal. If it's running normal, eventually while playing (normally around ten minutes in) it'll start speeding up (especially when background music changes in game). It will then either stay that way until quitting, correct itself in a couple of minutes (only to happen again later), or the sound will instantly cut out altogether. Video isn't affected in Terraria.

I've run the following;
Code:
sudo nano /etc/pulse/client.conf

followed by changing the following "yes" to "no";
Code:
; autospawn = yes
autospawn = no

and then run;
Code:
killall pulseaudio

before running any game in Wine, and while it does help (The Sims 3 no longer runs at fast speeds for the opening video) the audio still sometimes speeds back up in gameplay (IE Terraria).

Is there anything else I can do to help stop this from happening? It's not a major problem since it doesn't affect any gameplay (unless I were to play a game that relies on audio). Diablo 3 doesn't have any audio/video problems (sans running the echo code that freezes my computer 90% of the time and the computer freezing after starting a game 100% of the time but that's a different problem) so I don't know why it's only some games and not others.

Any help is greatly appreciated!