[Wine] DirectSoft 5 Serial communications Issue's

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue May 22 17:01:35 CDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 15:48 -0500, samuraimarc wrote:
> I also ran the setserial command:
>
> Code:
> root at interfor-debain:/home/electrician# setserial -a /dev/ttyS0
> /dev/ttyS0, Line 0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x8010, IRQ: 16
> 	Baud_base: 115200, close_delay: 50, divisor: 0
> 	closing_wait: 3000
> 	Flags: spd_normal skip_test

That all looks fair enough.

> I do recall I had to write a rule to run the android sdk, rule 51 in
> udev. Although it was a cut and paste I kind of got the idea. I might
> need to do something similar for each PLC which could prove to not be
> worth the effort.

If all PLCs connect via serial ports whose names match /dev/ttyS*, the
rule I sent you the link for should work for all of them. Hint: If you
want to see what is happening in real-time, open a terminal window and
run the command "sudo tail -f /var/log/messages" and then plug the
PVMCIA card into the computer. You'll see a number of messages appear as
the card is recognised and uDEV configures drivers, etc., and reports
the device name(s) that are assigned. Ctrl-C exits from 'tail' when
you're done.

> I'm only 3 months into linux so still a bit of a learning curve here.

If you've used other OSen at the command line level, you may find "Linux
in a Nutshell" helpful because the text in the online manpages is very
(too?) concise. Otherwise you may prefer a rather thicker book on Linux
system administration. This is IMO an over fancy term: many
knowledgeable Linux users and all fully competent Linux programmers have
skills that are reserved for sysadmins on other non-UNIX type systems.
Its not that this is esoteric knowledge, rather that its all stuff
that's very useful to know and all applicable with simple tools like the
command line and a text editor. Did you know that almost all Linux
configuration data lives in simple text files and can be changed with a
standard text editor such as vi, vim, nano or gedit?

Martin