[Wine] DirectSoft 5 Serial communications Issue's

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue May 22 18:58:08 CDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-05-22 at 18:09 -0500, samuraimarc wrote:

> The rule didn't make a differance. I get the usual system error message from
> wine which is:
>
> Code:
> Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000005 in 32-bit code
> (0x7bc498e7).

I have one program that did that and fixed it by adding the lines:

# Sets a value required by WINE in DOS emulation mode.
vm.mmap_min_addr = 0

to the end of /etc/sysctl.conf - I don't know it it will help you, but
may be worth a try.

> Yeah I've been looking at other books, I've got linux for dummies which got mind numbing pretty quick and linux server hacks 1&2.
> I had a little bout with vi when I first started because I didn't know how to use gedit in root and needed to edit some files, but it was good to learn that funky navigation vi offers.

Its always worth knowing the basics of 'vi' or 'vim', which is an
enhanced version. because it can be vital in recovering a totally borked
system. Thats because vi is capable of running, even when the display
won't support cursor movements, i.e. on a 'glass teletype' screen which
has linefeeds, tabs, backspaces and that's about it, and none of the
arrow keys work either. AFAIK there are no other editors (except the
rather fearsome 'ed' and 'sed') that can work with so little graphical
support.

> It weird that CSmain will only come up with 0644 permissions and if I

Could it be honouring a readonly bit in the device file? IIRC
DOS/Windows only uses the 'archive' and 'readonly' permission bits and I
don't remember which Linux permission bits they map onto? Are you using
my rule with the bits set to 0666 or 0644?

Martin