[Wine] How to completely uninstall wine

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 11:47:04 CDT 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM, concerro <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I am only uninstalling it so I can reinstall it. Wine would not load anything. I read something about a virtual drive being left behind for the
> Windows programs it is supposed to run. I never created a drive, but the writer did not say if Wine did so automatically. If it does I would like to
> know if I need to erase/delete it before doing the reinstall.

Reinstalling Wine may not fix what is broken.

> If I do need to create a virtual hard drive do I use Wine to do it somehow or is it something I can do using linux.

Wine will create a virtual 'Windows' drive system in the user's home
directory, and usually is named .wine (dot)wine.  By default,
directories that start with the 'dot' character are hidden and can be
exposed by various methods.  Deleting this directory will remove all
of the installed Windows programs and allow for a 'fresh' install.

The FAQ has further details on this.

James