[Wine] Wine download for Mac OSX

Matthew Cowgur matt.cowgur at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 21:33:32 CDT 2013

You can definitely run wine on OS X for free. I would recommend using the Homebrew package manager: http://mxcl.github.io/homebrew/ to install wine. You can also use the MacPorts package manager (the one that home-brew seems to be poking fun at). Wine Bottler is purported to be a command-line-less version of wine that gives you nicely packaged apps to run. I only tried to use it once, really.

As a point of clarification, please understand that Wine doesn't run windows; Wine runs programs that would otherwise only run on windows. Definitely check out the Wine HQ App DB (http://appdb.winehq.org) but I've had mixed luck with getting games to run. Some run as expected, but not others.

Wine on OS X (without purchasing Crossover) is not for the weak stomached, though. Not everything is going to work, and you might need to do most of it on the command line. If you look at the homebrew web site, and aren't afeared of the commands to install it, then I would think you'll do fine. First install Homebrew, and then run the command "brew install wine" to install wine.

--

Matthew Cowgur