[Wine] Installing The Witcher, GOG edition

Hartmut Figge h.figge at gmx.de
Wed Dec 18 07:38:32 CST 2013

Martin Gregorie:

>The mailing list used to be connected to the forum so that forum traffic
>was sent to the mailing list and vice versa.

I know that from the past.

>While the mailing list was a spam-free as mailing lists usually are,
>the forum was extremely lax.

Hm. I do not remember much spam from this time. Perhaps because i am
using gmane for the mailing list.

But there was another thing which annoyed me. Replies without citing.
Lines with no wrapping, resulting in endless lines which had to be
manually wrapped when citing was necessary.

>Since the split I've gotten rather disillusioned with Wine and use it as
>little as possible. The reason? So-called regressions. If the Wine
>project ran adequate regression tests I'd use it rather more, but they
>apparently don't, since I've never heard a regression test suit
>mentioned. In summary, Wine is the least stable piece of published
>software I've ever used. IMHO this shows a rather unprofessional
>attitude.

Regarding regressions, i am compiling SeaMonkey, much more code than
wine, nearly daily. Unless there is a bustage. Currently there is one
since 5 days.

Regressions do occur there and it takes time to fix them. And there is
the issue with using much of the code from Firefox and Thunderbird,
which changes often and has the tendency to damage SeaMonkey. Sigh.

In wine itself i had the luck to meet regressions very seldom. And
regressions *are* fixed. See the release notes of wine-1.6.1 from Alexandre.

>What they should do to fix things is:
>- provide a fully automated regression suite
>- make the regression test suite available to developers and
>  mandate its use
>- require submission of new features, i.e. support for new M$ APIs, to
>  include comprehensive tests for inclusion in the regression test
>  suite.
>- refuse to accept new code or patches that break existing code.
>- never release a Wine version that doesn't pass regression testing

Maybe there exists a lack of developers and likely they are all
volunteers which cannot be forced.

Hartmut