[Wine] msvcirt.dll problem with Mirriam Webster Dictionary

Gary Roach gary719_list1 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 15 16:28:15 CST 2013

Recently, I had to reinstall one of my Debian Wheezy systems and
installed wine-git (wine 1.5.21) in the process. I am using wine-git
because of an anticipated problem with one of the packages that I need
to install. I didn't anticipate a problem with the dictionary since I
have use it before with no problem. The dictionary program installed
with no problem but when I try to run it I get the following error:

     Unhandled exception: unimplemented function
msvcirt.dll.??0ifstream@@QAE at PBDHH@Z called in 32-bit code (0x7b83c512).

I've seen this error before in the past and found various references
when searching the web. There were quit a few references to similar
problems from the 2006 to 2008 era but nothing recent. There are some
references to using winecfg to solve the problem but the descriptions
were out of date and confusing. I have tried to set both Windows 2000
and Windows XP as the defaults but get the same error. Short of a
complete regression analysis, does anyone have any suggestions.

Gary R.