[Wine] Serial port issue

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Sep 17 07:05:47 CDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-16 at 05:18 -0500, Richard Wineland wrote:
> Good Day
>
> I am running WINE 1.2 on Ubuntu 10.04 using kernel 2.6.32-51Generic
> everything is updated. newer version of Ubuntu will not run unless I
> build the kernel and I stink at building kernels.
>
> I have 10 serial ports, 2 on the motherboard, ttyS0 and ttyS1 and 8 on
> an external card with ttyCTI0 to ttyCTI7. all are working in Ubuntu.
> I have symbolically linked ttyCTI0 to ttyS2 and so on till I get to
> ttyCTI7 to ttyS9
> If i try and link straight from ttyCTI* to Com * it will not work.
> If I do the above and then link just one and it doesn't matter which one
> Com1 thru Com9 it works fine. Except for Com10 will not work. When I do
> a "cat Com10" there is data there.
>
> How do I get the com10 data in to the wine program and to the software??
>
> I need to have all 10 ports available.

How many serial device files show when you run "ls /dev/ttyS*"? By
default only ttyS0 - ttyS3 are are created at boot time. You used to set
the kernel parameter

     8250.nr_uarts=5

to change the number of /dev/ttyS* devices to create. My system has one
serial port on the mother board and I use an additional 4 ports on a
multi-port serial adapter.

However, as of Fedora kernel 3.10.10-100.fc18.i686.PAE this seems to be
ignored, with the result that only the port on the motherboard and the
first three on the adapter card are recognised.

If you see the same problem, raise a bug with your distro.

In addition, you'll probably need to change the access permissions for
the serial device files. I do this by adding a file named 99-local.rules
in /etc/udev/rules.d which contains the lines:

#
# Give world read/write access to ttyS* and ttyUSB* serial devices
#
KERNEL=="tty[A-Z]*", GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"

This is the only way to change access permissions for serial ports.
Serial ports on the motherboard/serial adapter are created each time the
system is booted. USB serial ports (/dev/ttyUSB*) are created when the
adapter is connected to the USB port and removed when it is unplugged.
As a result you need the additional UDEV rule to set the access
permissions each time the device file is created.

MODE 0666 gives serial port read/write access to all users. This is all
I've ever needed to do to allow Wine apps to use all my serial ports: I
have never needed to add symlinks for serial ports on motherboard or
serial card. OTOH all versions of Wine under several Fedora releases
have failed to recognise my USB serial adapter, but since I could do
everything I needed via the other ports I've never followed that up.

Martin