[Wine] Writing directly to a lpt1: port and redirect to the lpr command

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Aug 7 02:31:39 CDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-08-07 at 00:57 -0300, HugLeo wrote:
> I'm have a remote printer installed in the cups. I shared the printer
> and
> it prints OK using the wine notepad.
> But I have a old application that prints only if have direct access
> to a
> lpt1 named port.
> We can test executing the program wine start.exe and run the command:
> echo 'test' > lpt1 that returns:
> File not found
> I tried to create the rule
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Printing\Spooler]
> "LPT1:"="|lpr"
> But echo 'test' > lpt1 still returns File not found
> I'm wondering if it's possible to create a LPT1: port and echoing to
> lpr
> Does anyone know if it is possible?

No guarantees but you *might* be able to print directly if your PC has
a parallel port and the printer is connected to it. Then, at a minimum,
you'd need to to alias the printer (probably its /dev/lp0) as LPT1: by
adding a symlink ("ln -s /dev/lp0 LPT1:") and change its access
permissions so the user that is running Wine has read and write
permissions for the device file (/dev/lp0 or whatever your PC calls
it.).

IOW that program is expecting to use its own printer driver (or one in
a Windows library) to talk directly to a parallel interface chip that
Windows addresses as LPT1. I've done this successfully for serial ports
but haven't tried it for a printer.

Martin